The Historical Governors’ Papers collection is an ongoing digitization project and will eventually include the correspondence of many of North Carolina’s early governors. These materials are from the collections of the State Archives of North Carolina and each group of correspondence will be indexed by month and year.
Currently this collection includes the papers of:
- Richard Caswell, in office 1776-1780; 1785-1787
- Abner Nash, in office 1780-1781
- Thomas Burke, in office 1781-1782
- Alexander Martin, in office 1782-1785; 1789-1792
- Samuel Johnston, in office 1787-1789
- Richard Dobbs Spaight, in office 1792-1795
- Samuel Ashe, in office 1795-1798
- William Richardson Davie, in office 1798-1799
- Benjamin Williams, in office 1799-1802; 1807-1808
- James Turner, in office 1802-1805
- Nathaniel Alexander, in office 1805-1807
- David Stone, in office 1808-1810
Learn more about North Carolina's governors in NCPedia.
Finding aids for the records of many of North Carolina's governors are available on the State Archives of North Carolina website.